German police have launched a nationwide manhunt for a 21-year-old man suspected of carrying out a deadly attack at Berlin’s Christopher Street Day (CSD) Pride celebrations that killed one woman and injured at least 16 others. Authorities say the suspect is known to Berlin’s Islamist scene, but his motive remains under investigation.
Investigators identified the suspect as Abdul B., who allegedly drove a white van into crowds gathered in Berlin’s Tiergarten park at about 10:15 p.m. local time on Saturday before fleeing the scene. The vehicle crashed into a tree after striking multiple people.
Berlin police issued an urgent public appeal with the suspect’s photograph and description, warning that he may be armed and dangerous.
Police described him as approximately 1.90 metres tall, with a slim build and black hair. He was last believed to be wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and white trousers.
Authorities urged the public not to approach him.
“If you encounter the suspect, do not approach him under any circumstances,” police said. “He may be armed and dangerous. Contact the emergency number 110 immediately.”
According to German media, investigators searched the suspect’s apartment after the attack but did not locate him. Reports also indicate he had been released from juvenile detention in May and was already known to security authorities.
Police have not yet established a clear motive.
“There is currently no information regarding his specific motives, the exact sequence of events or his precise role in the attack,” a police spokesperson said.
Witnesses told German media that after abandoning the van, the suspect appeared to be carrying a sharp object, possibly a knife. Some bystanders reported seeing victims with apparent stab wounds, although authorities have not yet confirmed those reports as part of the investigation.
The attack occurred as hundreds of thousands of people attended one of Europe’s largest LGBTQ+ Pride celebrations. Organisers cancelled the event following the incident, while emergency crews treated victims at the scene. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz condemned the attack as “an attack on our society.”